Voting

4.13.2011

Barefoot Contessa and Banana Bread

I love the food network. My husband teases me about it, and always turns it on in bed for me.  I constantly have it on as background noise even if I can't sit down and watch it in bliss (which is usually never).  I love cupcake wars, At home with Giada, 5 ingredient fix, and a myriad of other shows.  One that I really love is Barefoot Contessa.  Everything is "fabulous" in Ina Garten's world and her fresh white Hampton's kitchen is just too die for.  She always has celebrity friends and the freshest ingredients.  Today I actually had a few extra minutes since the boys had scouts so I decided to make  some banana bread for my cousin who just had surgery.  I turned on Barefoot Contessa as background noise while cleaning and baking.  Her show today featured Alek Baldwin (30 rock anyone? My FAV!, sooooo hilarious).  Alek was helping Ina with a charity lunch and did all the grocery shopping at a local farmers market.  It was so funny, and I adore his witty and dry sense of humor.  Mariska Harghitay of Law and Order also was helping with the table settings.  If you missed it then go online and watch it, such a good episode, and it has an wasy recipie for (Eaten Mess, a dessert) MMM!  But I digress... The recipe I made is my favorite banana bread recipe, and I have tried MANY!  I don't like the ones that call for Crisco, nor do I like ones with white sugar.  I think the brown sugar and melted butter in this recipe give a brown butter, nutty taste that is exquisite and refined due to the spices..  I wanted too share it with you all after trying so many others.

Spiced Brown-Banana Bread:
  • 6 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • one 4 oz. cup of applesauce
  • 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of agave nectar (I use the light kind)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 tsp. Baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1 1/2 Cups white flour
  • 1 1/2 Cups of wheat flour
  1. Mix the bananas in mixer till mashed, then add melted butter and mix on speed 2 till blended
  2. Mix in sugar and agave, eggs, vanilla and spices.
  3. Sprinkle soda and salt on top of wet ingredients and then mix in.
  4. mix in flour, half at a time, until mixed, scraping sides with a spatula while mixer is running.
Use 2 loaf pans that are greased and fill a tad more than 1/2 full and bake for 1 hour at 350. (Don't overcook)!
immediately remove and cool for an hour before slicing with a serrated knife.
Then keep on for yourself and give one to someone else.  Happy Wednesday Everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds so Yummy! And I to am a food network Junkie! Trav and I Love watching paula deen, and diners & dive. And of course we Love Barefoot contessa!! She is amazing. And I LOVE Giada.. I want to live in her house on the beach. :)
    I always make b. bread. Cause i buy loads of banana's for my kids. So i have black ones by the end of the week. So I will try this one next! Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on Food Network and I am about to have a slice of this Banana Bread right now...MMMM!!!! THANKS for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just reminded me how much I love banana bread (with a big smear of peanut butter too!) I'm not much of cook and don't usually seek out recipes on my own so it's nice to stumble across them on blogs :) And I adore Alec so much I might have to check this out!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog - it's so nice to 'meet' you! Looking forward to keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke! I found your blog through Lisa Harris. I'm so glad to see that life is treating you well. :) We've moved and are now in Mesa. Would love to see you sometime! Let's keep in touch! j.funk@cox.net 480-209-7397

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just staring at these spotty brown bananas 30 minutes ago wondering what I needed to do. I completely agree about the Crisco. I don't have it in my house. I always prefer butter, and cane sugar or brown sugar is my "go-to"sugar. This looks really yummy!

    P.S. When I'm able to catch 3rd rock it is something I can turn on and know there will be guaranteed laughs almost every time!

    Hope you are having a beautiful day. Your blog is beautiful. Love the handwriting effect.

    ReplyDelete