Voting

8.02.2011

Tasteful Tuesday - "Eggplant Parmesan"

Hello dolls!  I hope this Tuesday finds you well.  Before I dive into Tasteful Tuesday's recipe I have a random question... Do you adore Elton John?  Seriously, yesterday the boys and I were driving in the car and Piano man came on.  I couldn't help but be in awe over the piano solo part (I used to teach piano lessons so I LOVE the piano)  I have all his albums and could listen to him all day long.  My all time fav is Tiny Dancer... BEST SONG EVER!!! Okay, I digress but please comment out of my own curiosity if you are indeed an Elton fan.  On to the Yummy stuff... It's Italian and it includes cheese and crusty breadcrumbs, need I say more?  Eggplant Parmesan is a fav dish of mine.  I LOVE eggplant for many reasons but one is it is meat free which means it's cost effective and its so healthy being it is a dark veggie.  (Well it's actually a fruit because it has seeds!  Lucky you, you learned something new today).  Anyway, I cook Monday through Thursday, and Sunday at our house.  Friday is usually pizza or out to eat with the kids and Saturday is usually date night.  So, during the week I always do a meat free dish.  This one is a winner at our house and even my picky boys love this dinner.  I find my eggplants at sprouts for inexpensive, and I think they taste the best as well.  I hope you enjoy this dish and can include it in your dinner rotation. 
XOXO
Have a terrific Tuesday you lovely ladies!!!


Eggplant Parmesan:
  • 2 eggplants (more if your cooking for more than 6)
  • 3 eggs whisked
  • 1/2 cup of Italian style bread crumbs
  • 2 cloves of fresh minced garlic
  • 1 tsp of Italian seasonings
  • Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup shredded or less if you prefer)
  • Spaghetti sauce (I like Bertolli because it's natural and I can buy it in bulk at Costco)
  1. Peel the skin of the eggplant, cut into 1 inch thick round slices.
  2. Sprinkle salt all over eggplant and let sit in a colander over a bowl for 15 minutes. (Eggplant retains a lot of water, and this helps the eggplant from turning mushy in the oven as the salt draws out the moisture).  Pat dry with paper towels and assemble in a single layer on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet.
  3. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until tender.  (Basically this roasts the eggplant..DELISH!
  4. Mix garlic with beaten eggs and Italian seasoning.  Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then dip in breadcrumbs coating thoroughly. 
  5. Place a little marinara on the bottom of a sprayed baking dish.  Place a layer of coated eggplant, then sauce, then cheese.  Repeat layers until eggplant is used.
  6. Bake for 20 more minutes at a reduced temperature of 350 until heated through and cheese is melted and divine.
*** I serve this over whole wheat spaghetti, steamed broccoli, and french bread for "mopping" up the crumb topping and sauce.  MMMMM!

1 comment: