BLONDE Buttermilk TEXAS SHEET CAKE, with Coconut (adapted by Me!)
- 2 C. Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 egg whites, beaten and at room temperature
- 2 C. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 1/2 C. buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. almond extract (pure, not imitation)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (pure, not imitation)
Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten egg whites. Mix together flour, soda and salt, and set aside. In a bowl mix extracts with buttermilk and set aside. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk mixture. DON'T OVER MIX. Pour on a buttered jellyroll pan (cookie sheet with sides). Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, just until barley golden around edges only. Cool completely then top with Buttermilk Icing. Enjoy!
BUTTERMILK COCONUT ICING
- 1 stick (1/2 a cup) room temperature butter or margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1, 16 ounce box of powdered sugar, or 3-4 cups.
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- 1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (optional, I always do half the pan with nuts, the other half without)
Melt Margarine on stove on low heat, then remove from stove. Add buttermilk. Whisk in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add extracts and stir, then mix in coconut and nuts. Cool completely then frost cooled cake.